Posts for: January, 2013
There has been a lot of attention and discussion in the news about the regulations, effectiveness, and safety of the vaccine for the influenza virus. High numbers of people with the flu, or "flu-like" symptoms, are being reported in the media all across the country. The truth is, just because a person has symptoms of the flu doesn't mean that they actually have contracted the influenza virus. In reality 80% of all "flu-like" symptoms are actually caused by other viruses or bacteria and not the influenza virus (1, 2). This means most of the people getting sick aren't even being infected with the flu virus. Also there are reports of people getting the flu vaccine, but still getting sick, as was the case on Dr. Oz's Show with Piers Morgan (11)
The CDC states that an average of 36,000 people die every year from the flu (3), but what is not mentioned is that the data they are referencing allowed the annual estimate of flu deaths to include deaths caused by pneumonia, circulatory, and other respiratory illness "that might be associated" with the flu. The actual total number of deaths directly related to the flu in the United States from 1940 - 2010 was between 411 and 21,041 deaths per year (4). This shows that the CDC is blowing the number of flu related deaths out of proportion to push more vaccines instead of looking at the true risk and cause of the "flu" symptoms in people.
The well-known research article posted in The Lancet in 2011, that is often cited in articles in favor of the flu vaccine, states that the flu vaccine is between 60% and 80% effective at preventing the flu. This leads the reader to believe that 6 out of 10 people that get the vaccine should be safe from the flu, correct? This is actually a deceiving presentation of the true data. The actual results of the study showed that 2.7/100 unvaccinated people and 1.2/100 vaccinated people got the flu. The 60% effectiveness of the flu vaccine statistic comes from comparing the 2.7 who got flu without vaccine and 1.2 who got it with vaccine. This analysis is not revealing the facts as they truly are. In reality, what this shows is that the flu vaccine prevents the flu in 1.5 out of every 100 people who take the shot, not that it prevents 60 out of 100 people from getting the flu, like you are lead to believe.
A real, very concerning fact, is that if you receive the flu vaccine 5 years in a row, your risk for developing Alzheimer's Disease is 10 times higher then those who have gotten the vaccine only 0 - 2 times (6). You are also put at risk of having other serious neurologic conditions like Guillan-Barre Syndrome or becoming paralzyed in some form (7, 8). These neurologic problems are a result of the heavy metals, such as mercury and aluminum, and the preservatives present in the influenza vaccine itself. It is not safe or normal to inject these toxic substances into your blood stream. This is very serious because these chemicals bypass your body's natural detoxification processes and can cross over the blood-brain barrier, which can cause serious neurologic damage in some cases.
There are much safer ways to prevent getting sick this season than getting the flu shot. Simple acts such as washing your hands, drinking plenty of water, eating a healthy diet low in sugar and high in vegetables, and supplementing with Vitamin C and Vitamin D can have amazing results. Vitamin D has been shown to be around 800% more effective at preventing flu then the vaccine (9) and has very low risk of any sort of adverse reaction. Chiropractic adjustments have also been shown to boost your immune system, so seeing your chiropractor can also help prevent the flu (10). If you have any questions about ideas for preventing flu or staying healthy this season contact your chiropractic physician.
- FDA. Feb. 20, 2003. Vaccines & Related Biological Products Advisory Committee Meeting Transcript
- El-Solh AA, Sikka P et al. Etiology of Severe Pneumonia in the Very Elderly. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001. 163(3): 645-651
- CDC Website. Estimating Seasonal Influenza-Associated Deaths in the United States: CDC Study Confirms Variability of Flu.
- National Vaccine Information Center - NVIC. Influenza and Pneumonia Reported Deaths in United States 1940-2010.
- Shock vaccine study reveals influenza vaccines only prevent the flu in 1.5 out of 100 adults (not 60% as you've been told.
- NVIC Internationl Vaccine Conference. Arlington, VA. 1997.
- NVIC. Flu Vaccine Reaction Leaves Former Nurse a Quadriplegic. NVIC Vaccine E-News. Oct. 31, 2011
- Schonberger LB, Bregman DJ et al. Guillain Barre Syndrome Following Vaccination in the National Influenza Immunization Program, United States, 1976-19
- Vitamin D Proven Far Better Than Vaccines at Preventing Influenza Infections.
- Dr. Dan Murphy DC. Chiropractic and the 1918 Flu Pandemic.
- Piers Morgan Falls Ill Days After Public Flu Shot with Dr. Oz.
- More information and presentation of problems with the Hype of the flu vaccine versus the Evidence. NIVC. Influenza Deaths: The Hype vs. The Evidence.